Monday, March 1, 2010

Prepatory trip to Hong Kong



A month to go and I am making a short trip to Hong Kong to leave some medicine with a friend so that I can pick it up on the way. Some more medicine will be brought by my parents to London. Having diabetes, has added to the logistics of this trip considerably. That and money. Credit cards are much more handy nowadays than twenty years ago when I went inter railing in Europe. People ask me why I cannot send my medicine to my friend in Hong Kong instead of flying over. The reason is that I am going to test out my credit cards as well.

Yesterday I went to Tan Tock Seng hospital. This trip has got me thinking about my health more than I would have had I not gone on this trip. I went for my first full medical check-up. I doubt that they will find any more issues beyond my diabetes and cholestrol, but I think that in future, I will have to go for check-ups more regularly. Like sending in an older car for servicing. I also went to the traveller's clinic to check out my vaccinations for this trip. It seems like the only thing I need to do is get malaria tablets. I have had the necessary vaccinations from my previous trips.

So far I have my train to Penang, my hotel booking over there. I had to book my train from Beijing to Mongolia, a tour in Mongolia, and the train from Mongolia to Russia on the trans siberian. I also have hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburgh. I am definitely going to Arles for the photographic festival. From a recommendation of an Italian friend, I have booked accommodation on a boat in Arles. It should be fun. The rest of the trip will be booked on the road.

After dreaming of this trip for over five years, it is finally coming up. It is really hard to conceive what I am in for, but I think it will be fun. And hopefully, like one friend said, I will be changed by this trip.

1 comments:

Zurina Bryant said...

Like the "like sending in an older car for servicing" ;-)

A good reminder to all to book in for their annual checkups!

Looking forward to seeing all your photos as you travel around :-D