Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Route

It is quite a romantic idea to just set out without planning anything and react to situations as it occurs. However, going through Mongolia and Russia are the two most difficult things to do. Unless I have months to just sit around waiting for visas at the border, a plan with timing has to be set. And you cannot plan far in advance either. You can only apply for a Russian visa three months in advance of entering the country. You also need to have an invitation from the hotel/institution you are going to visit. And it goes much smoother when you do it in the country you are resident in. I wanted to pay my train ticket agent to get the visa for me, but since they are based in the UK, they cannot apply for a visa for me.

So, the truth is, I am more of less planning out my trip week by week or day by day in the case of Russia. I have another consideration as I will be going to Arles during the photographic festival in early July. So although it would be more logical to visit the Baltic states after Russia, I will be zooming across Europe to Arles and then making my way back to the Baltic states.

Well, my rough plan so far is,

Penang, Malaysia
Bangkok, Thailand
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Lao Prabang, Laos
Vientinne, Laos
Phnom Phen, Cambodia
Ho Chi Min, Vietnam
Ha Noi, Vietnam
Sarpa, Vietnam
Guilin, China
Hong Kong
Shanghai, China
Beijing, China
Ulan Bator, Mongolia
Moscow, Russia
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Arles, France
Milan, Italy
Berne, Switzerland
Berlin, Germany
Warsaw, Poland
Vilinus, Lithuania
Riga, Latvia
Talinn, Estonia
Stockholm, Sweden
Copenhagen, Denmark
London, UK

All the places are interesting to visit. The highlights for me though will be the world's fair in Shanghai, three weeks in Mongolia and the photographic festival in Arles.

The planning continues.

0 comments: